Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Monday, June 4, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is

I love going home. Something about being the oldest, and having none of my siblings out of the house yet (only for the next few months!) gives me free range to just blend in and feel like a kid again. 

It feels good. It feels like a vacation back to a simpler time, when all that I stressed about was what magazine clippings to put on my wall, and what outfit to wear to school the next day. 

It feels good to walk the street and see this:


Those were my hand prints in 1996, and woah I just did the math to realize that was 16 years ago. 

16. 

I feel like I should not be old enough to say that something happened 16 years ago, but there you have it, the evidence. 

This weekend, we celebrated my parents' 28th wedding anniversary. 


28 years ago (as of Saturday) they said their "I Do"s and stomped on a glass that took 10 minutes to find and did some weird shark dance to a song that was so not shark related and drank their champagne and stuffed cake in each other's faces (well, actually only Dad did that cause he cheated) and threw their bouquet and garter and all that jazz.

I know all of this because we watched their wedding video that hasn't been watched in about 28 years. 

28 years ago, they started a life. A life that took them from that picture up there, to this:


Mom has only once commented on the blog, and she joked that I make us look normal. 

Don't be fooled, we're not. 

But then again, I think a "normal" family is one that has a bit of dysfunction woven in there. And if so, then we are very, very normal. 

The point is, I know it hasn't been easy. But through thick and thin, they honored that commitment. And they've been honoring it every day for 28 years. Through the good days, and the bad.

And that example, I hope to take with me into my future marriage. Good work Mom and Dad, you did good. 






You did real good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic they have been together 28 years! Sounds like visiting home was a walk down memory lane for you :) That is neat that you have your handprints in the sidewalk from 16 years ago!!

Stacy Uncorked said...

Awwwww! I love this! I'm looking forward to going home in a few weeks - staying at my parents' house will probably make me feel like a kid, even though all us kids are grown and moved out with our own families. ;) There's just something about being in your parents' house that brings back that kid feeling, though. :) Love all the pictures - Happy Anniversary to your awesome parents! :)


Wino Fun – the Results Are In! And a Happy Dance: Talk To Us RTT Rebel

VandyJ said...

I wish I could still go home--but my mom doesn't live there any more. So nice to have those great memories.

Robin said...

Yes they did!!

Impulsive Addict said...

28 years is HUGE for these days. My parents and my husband's parents have both been married for 36 years. I'm so lucky to not be one of those people who has to split time around the holidays between mom's house and dad's house.

Great post! Thanks for linking it up!

Shawn said...

Awe, happy anniversary to them! My parents just celebrated their 54th and my 20th is coming up soon. It's hard work, no one said it wasn't going to be, but like all things worth working for its worth the rewards!

Thanks for joining the party!

Mrs. Match said...

awww 28 years together! I love it. I'm always so amazed by my inlaws because they've been together for 30 something years. It's inspiring!
Oh the simple problems of being 16. I would never go back, but some days I wish life were as easy as it was back then!