Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Monday, March 5, 2012

Fit Club - 2 Months In

It's been a little over 2 months of 2012, and if you've been keeping up with my Fit Club posts, then you probably have an idea of how well I'm keeping up with my health-related resolutions. For those of you who might be new to my blog (I'm sponsoring for my first time this month, Hello Adventures of Newlyweds readers!), here's the run down:


Two-Month Fit Club Update

Goal #1: Follow the 80/20 Rule

This resolution has been the hardest for me. What can I say, I love food. Especially the carb-y, cheesy, yummy kind of food that should fall in that 20%. Last week, I made the goal to eat more fruits and veggies. I would say that I was pretty successful with that, even though I have a ways to go before I'm following the 80/20 rule. Here are some of my favorites from last week:

Granola and blueberries
Trader Joe's style
Spinach salad
This spinach salad was pretty bomb, and really easy to throw together in the morning. I just grabbed a handful of spinach, some herbed goat cheese that was left over from pizza night, and a packet of cashews, almonds and dried cranberries. Tossed it all together with a homemade dressing of olive oil, red wine vinaigrette and honey. Simple, delicious and healthy. 

Goal #2: Get to the gym 3-4 times a week

I can happily say that I have gone above and beyond with this goal. They say that 3-4 weeks are needed to form a habit, and I am glad to say that I think this is true. The first month of Fit Club, I was getting to the gym about 5 times/week. As the weeks went by, I realized that the gym was becoming less of a chore, and something that I actually wanted to do. 

It's now been 8 weeks, and I am proud to report that getting to the gym is officially a habit. I would say that my average is 6 days/week, but I do my best to get some form of exercise every day. 

Here was this past week's schedule:

Monday: 30 minute ab class + 30 minutes on the treadmill (Gym)
Tuesday: Lower Body Blast (60 minutes, Gym)
Wednesday: Turbokick (60 minutes, Gym) and a softball game
Thursday: Day off, aka slept through body pump. Whoops!
Friday: 30 minute spin class + 30 minute ab class (Gym)
Saturday: 30 minute run
Sunday: 30 minutes on the treadmill (Gym)

Hopefully I can keep this up for the next 10 months!

Goal #3: Lose 5 pounds and keep it off

I'm gonna keep it real, and say that I have not seen any consistent weight loss. I will say that I feel stronger and more toned, but the scale has not shown any drastic difference. I do hope to accomplish this resolution by the end of the year, and I'm confident that if I can focus more on making healthier eating decisions, the frequent gym trips will start paying off. 

Goal #4: Be happy with my body

I can definitely say that I've kept up with this resolution. Being a part of the Fit Club and reading so many inspiring posts has helped me realize that if I want to change something about my body, I can do it. It will take work, and it might be hard, but there is no sense in complaining about my body when only I can change it. 

So I can happily report that I feel very happy with my body right now. I'm sure almost every one reading this will relate when I say that I haven't always had the best body image. Unfortunately, most girls these days don't. But right now, I am happy when I look in the mirror. 

There are definitely areas that I would like to tone more, and I'd love to have completely flat abs, but I can proudly say that I feel good with what I'm working with. And let me tell you, it's nice to finally feel that way. 

And that's it for the update.

I'd say overall it's been a great two months. I feel healthier than I've pretty much ever felt, and it feels amazing. Here's to another good month, and to putting in some effort to those resolutions that I've been falling a bit short on. 

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Great post, has it really been 2 months since fit club started, wow!
Good to hear you did so well with your goals. I feel very much the same as you do, a lot healthier.
That salad looks so good.

Erin said...

Hey chic, great update! Glad to hear you are feeling like you've fallen into some great habits. I haven't lost anything either, but am feeling really happy about the choices I'm making (for the most part!) and I know that I am doing my body good.

Keep it up!