Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Monday, January 7, 2013

True Life: I'm afraid of short hair

Happy Monday, lovelies. 

Today, I have a confession to make:

I'm afraid of short hair.

Yupp, not sure when I determined this, but I've always felt like short hair is just not meant for me. 

Fortunately, my hair grows super fast and as all hairstylists recommend (sarcasm), I rarely cut my hair, so it's pretty much always been long. 

In high school, we would have an annual assembly where girls could donate 10 inches of their hair to Looks Like Me, a foundation that makes wigs for cancer patients. 

My freshman year I decided that I was determined to participate at some point during my 4 years of high school, but that I needed to grow my hair out good and long before I made the big cut. 

Now, to show you how serious this fear of short hair is, I've dug out a picture of my hair at it's longest. 

Guys, it's pretty bad. I didn't even realize how abnormally long my hair was. 

But to give evidence to my fear, here it goes:


...

Loooong, right? 

So anywho, I donated my hair and got it back to a socially acceptable length. 

Not to mention, I found a cause that I was passionate about. I have a lot of hair, we're talking suuper thick and grows crazy fast. So if I can help someone going through a tragic time in their life by donating some hair that I'm going to cut anyway? Seems like a pretty great deal to me. 

So when my hair was growing super long again, I decided it was time to donate again. 

I posted this back in September, and got a pretty big push for the idea:


Take my fear of short hair into consideration, and you probably won't be surprised that I waited quite a few months before making the big cut. 

But I finally did! :)


And I am happy to report that, while this is by far the shortest my hair has ever been, 

I love it!




And I hope that whoever ends up with my hair on her head loves it too. 

First thing on my 2013 Bucket List officially checked off!

Let's make this an awesome week, shall we?

16 comments:

Mosby Hardin said...

I love it! You look great love:)

Rach said...

It is SO cute! Oh Amy, I love it! And I love that you did this! So proud of you!

Katie_B said...

I nominated you for a Liebster Award--check it out!

Jordan said...

I said it before and I will say it again - you look amazing! You shouldn't be afraid of short hair. I think you look professional and super hot. Just saying!

Caitlin said...

I COMPLETELY feel you!!!! I have never, ever had short hair until now. I donated mine back in the beginning of the summer and have been complaining all summer until now when it's finally starting to grow back. I love and miss my long hair dearly. It was nowhere near as long as yours, but I would like it longer than mine is now! I am jealous looking at pictures of myself with longer hair, haha.

I absolutely LOVE your new look! I think it looks GREAT! Best look ever!

Kiki said...

I love the new look! I'm always afraid of cutting my hair, too especially because I cut it myself (long story short, I've had some not-so-great haircuts by others so I prefer to do it myself). But it looks great! And I love that you did it for a good cause, too. Hooray for crossing something off your bucket list so early in the year!

Elissa said...

I think it looks great! Can I have the hair to give my 5 strands some life?? oh that's not a legitimate cause. haha just kidding. That is awesome! I haven't heard of look like me, but I've heard of locks of love, I'm sure it's the same thing or really similar! Also I just noticed that it looks like you got it cut in someone's house, did a friend do it for you? if so, they did a great job!

Linnea said...

You hair looks great! Way to donate it to a great cause. Happy Monday!

Jessica said...

It looks great! :)

Olivia said...

We are hair twins! My hair is super thick as well and I've donated it twice and had an incredibly hard time each time! But we did so.. go us!!!

I will be emailing you back shortly :) Cooper is being quite a little handful tonight :/

Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren said...

So cute! Newest follower and can't wait to read more! xo!

Melissa said...

It's still long! Haha! No, i know it's short compared to what you had! Your shortest length is my longest. And i have never cut it SUPER short (like boy short!) but i do prefer it chin or shoulder length. Once it's past my shoulders i am DONE. It's very thick & does grow fast but it always feels heavy & annoying when it gets past the shoulders. :o/ I had it long as a child, though!

Your hair is gorgeous! And what a great cause!

Amy said...

Thank you thank you everyone!! :) @Elissa, yes, my friend cut it! She just got her license and she did an AWESOME job! Not to mention, had some great conversation while she cut it!

HK said...

I love your new hair! I actually think it looks better this length than super-long ;-) Maybe because it isn't weighed down as much? And anything that falls below the shoulders doesn't count as "short" at all, in my book ;-)

I not only have thick hair, but really coarse strands, as well, so I like longer lengths because it weighs it down and helps make it more manageable, but prefer shorter lengths because there's so much LESS hair to deal with (and less shampoo to waste). Can't win, eh! ;-)

Anonymous said...

congrats on conquering the hair-fear!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! You look fab!! I too am terrified of cutting my hair too short because it's super thick and I just don't think I have the head or face for it... but I have been craving a change, and your good experience is maybe starting to sway me!