Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Letter

I mentioned my letter writing process when I wrote my 2012 letter a little late last year. 

For the record, I totally did it wrong. I should have been recapping 2011 and predicting what was to come in 2012, but oh well

To be honest, I think I was just too dang excited about 2012, and for good reason. 

It was, to date, the best year of my life. 

The year where I really found me

Probably because it was the year where I really fell in love with Jesus. 

So without further adieu, my 2012-2013 letter:

Dear Me, 

Wow. 

2012, you completely changed me. 

You were such a pivotal year, that I'm struggling to even find the words to describe you. You were a year of change, of growth, of love. 

I end the year with so many of my now closest friends being people that I didn't know at this time last year. Isn't that crazy? 2012 brought so many incredible and inspiring people into my life. (Including you blog friends!!)

I began the year with my arms outstretched towards the Lord, declaring to Him how desperate I was for Him. 

I had had plenty of conversations with the Lord before, but for whatever reason, He chose that moment to be the one. He picked that moment to be the one where He planted in me the desires and convictions to change my life. 

And change I did, a lot

But you know what else I did? 

I stumbled. I back tracked. I fell into old patterns, old habits. They say they die hard for a reason, right? 

And in those moments of disappointment and frustration, that is when I felt God's grace the most. Those were the moments when I felt His hand on my shoulder, so lovingly claiming me as His own, despite my rebellion. 

2012 was a year full of lunch dates, catching up over coffee, and taking walking breaks during the work day with coworkers who became my best friends. 

A year of living in a beautiful house with four amazing roommates where any holiday, no matter how small, was an opportunity to go all out in celebration.

It was a year of spending Tuesday evenings with some of my favorite ladies delving into God's word, and discussing how it applies to our lives. A year full of pot lucks with community groups, where I would watch a room full of strangers turn into a family. 

It was a year packed with weekend getaways to San Francisco, Boston, Sacramento, and more. A year full of early morning gym classes, runs to the beach during lunch, and bike rides to enjoy the lovely Santa Barbara weather. 

Thank you God, for blessing me with a year that was better than I ever could have imagined.  A year full of love. 

I could go on and on about how fantastic and wonderful 2012 was, but I do believe it's 2013 now, correct?

2013, I stumbled into you. I spent the first week of the new year giving myself a good hard look in the mirror, asking if this was really how I wanted to start the new year. 

And thank you God for giving me the push I needed to get back on track. Thank you for lovingly pulling me back into your arms, where I belong. 

I have high hopes for you 2013, as displayed by your Bucket List. I want you to be a year of growth. And a year of continuing forming amazing memories and friendships. 

To be honest, if I had a repeat of 2012, I would be ecstatic. But I know, I know, I need to always strive for more

I hope to develop better budgeting skills, to become a bit (or a lot) more diligent with how I spend my money. I hope to learn more about truly trusting the Lord with my life, I have found that to say it is one thing, to really trust Him is another. 

I hope to build a better network with you fellow bloggers. To become more open about my struggles, both past and present, to build real, lasting friendships. 

I hope to make this bible verse my verse for the year:


Knowing God leads to self-control. 
Self-control leads to patient endurance, 
and patient endurance leads to godliness.
Godliness leads to love for other Christians, 
and finally you will grow to have genuine love for everyone.

2 Peter 1:6-7

Self-control and patient endurance? Those are two things that I could really work on. 

Really, I just want this year to be another year filled with love. I want to love my family the best that I can, my friends the best that I can, and yes, you guys the best that I can. 

I want to be someone that others can turn to when going through a rough time. But you know what else? I want to be someone that they can turn to for fun, too. 

I hope to laugh more, and worry less.

2012, you were a year to remember. 

Time to make 2013 even better

XO

Me

6 comments:

Julie said...

I feel like you and I had a similar year! 2012 was the year I really fell in love with Jesus too! It has definitely been an experience. 2012 was an awesome year, and like you said, I'd love a repeat. But you also said so perfectly: I need to always strive for more. Here's to 2013! I'm so glad we got to become closer this past year girl :)

PS- I LOVE your haircut! I was always jealous of your super long hair (mine grows sooo slow) but it looks so cute shorter!

Rachel said...

It sounds like you had an amazing year! I am so jealous of your early morning beach runs and awesome weather.

Linnea said...

Beautifully written my dear!

Rach said...

Love those powerful moments when you suddenly are overwhelmed with God's grace. Especially when things have been hardest. It seems like those are the times when His grace is most apparent because we are most in need of it. This coming year is going to be SUCH a good one for you, friend. :)

Melissa Jo said...

I find it amazing that you and I are such similar chapters of our lives. Genuine love for everyone... yeah I'll definitely struggle with that sometimes. Everyone? like Everyone? I am not perfect but thankful for bloggers like you and a God who know, appreciate and love me for it!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad this was such a great year for you! I hope 2012 is even better! :)