Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Be Still - Part 1

I have a confession to make. 

You know last week, when I was sounding all positive about the boot situation? 

I wasn't 100% there yet as I was writing those words. Heck, I'm not even sure I was 50% there yet. 

To be honest, last week threw me for a loop. The last nine months, working out has been a huge part of my life. When I went through my break up in December, I ran to two places: church, and the gym. I found something in the gym that I hadn't found there before: confidence. 

And I don't mean confidence in the daaang, I look goood sort of way. I started finding myself jumping out of my comfort zone. I found myself feeling in such a great mood whenever I walked through those doors, that I couldn't help but say hi to people. And that might not sound like much. But those hi's starting turning into conversations. Conversations with the front desk employees, with the class instructors, with people in the locker room. And those conversations started turning into friendships. And those friendships made me happy. They would pull me out of any off day. 

So last week, when I found out that I couldn't work out for 6 weeks, I panicked a little. I felt like my safe zone was being taken away from me.

Add in finding out that one of my best friends is moving across the country in a few months, and I was a bit of an emotional wreck. 

But you know what I realized? A gym should not be my safe zone. I love that the gym has become so important to me in the last 9 months, but it should not define me. 

God should be my safe zone. Period. 

And I'd go on to tell you about my amazing encounter with God on my flight to Boston, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow's post. Can only ramble on for so long, right? 

Point is: I was lost last week. 

But God found me

He's just kind of awesome like that. 

6 comments:

Kate Sparkles said...

Can't wait to read the rest of this story, be always finds us right when we need him.

Samantha said...

So wonderful. I can't wait to read tomorrows post.

Rebecca O said...

That must have been a hard realization! But, I can't wait to hear about it next! Just remember, that you can start those types of 'hi's and conversations wherever you go!

Amy said...

Thats fantastic that you've been able to realize that now! :)

Elissa said...

simple but so true. it can be so hard to be still in this crazy fast paced world, maybe the boot will help you be able to be still!

Rach said...

Amen! Love this! He finds us for sure!