Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ask Amy's Gym Buddies

Back in February, I had officially gotten a consistent workout routine down, and decided to share my tips. When I first started linking up with the Inspire Me Healthy series (which I've failed at the last few weeks), I knew I wanted to do another post on workout tips. 

You know, since that's the only part I have down. Tips on eating healthy would be greatly appreciated, please and thank you.

But since I had already shared my workout tips with you, I decided to interview my gym buddies for you guys. I met these two gorgeous ladies at the gym, and coincidentally work with one of them. Believe it or not, the gym has served as a great place to meet new friends!

Without further adieu, I give you my gym crew:


How often do you work out?

Renee: I try to get to the gym or take a run 4-5 times a week. On the weekends, I like to stay active and have fun by taking part in beach volleyball, softball or going on a hike. 

Emma: It has really varied over the past 5 years (college produces strange habits). Totally agree with you there, Emma! My freshmen year of college I NEVER worked out... after having unlimited dining commons meals and drinking my body weight in alcohol every weekend, I started working out every day, often twice a day during that summer. Now, I think I have found more of a balance. It feels GREAT to work out as often as I have time to. It really depends week to week, but I would guess that I make it to the gym 4 - 7 times a week currently.

What do your typical workouts consist of? Do you have a standard routine, or do you mix it up?

Renee: I try to mix it up with the majority of my workouts involving cardio and adding some weight training. I love going to lifting classes for a nice all around muscle improvement. For cardio, I switch off between running and indoor cycling. I don't really have a standard routine, I try to add new movements so I don't get tired of doing the same thing over and over again. 

Emma: I really like doing low heart rate cardio. It is meditative for me, and burns fat. If I have had a rough week or something has been bothering me, climbing the stair master feels AWESOME. I feel powerful, which is a great feeling for a woman. Weights are important, and toning up is a great feeling. My normal routine usually starts off with an hour of cardio and then a half hour of weights if I have the time, and am not taking a class with the gym. 

What is your favorite thing about working out?

Renee: I am the WORST person when it comes to stress. When I went for my first run senior year of high school after an incredibly stressful event in my life, my whole world changed. Working out is now my therapy, I cannot live without it. I run for all emotions I'm feeling: happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, regret, bliss, etc. It's a time that I can just hang out with myself and mull over anything that's on my mind. I always find my head much clearer when I finish a run, and that is a feeling I wouldn't trade for the world!

Emma: The meditation! I sleep better, feel better about myself, and it definitely influences my eating habits to be much better. I like working out with friends, listening to my music, SWEATING! There is a lot that I like about working out, but I would say the meditative aspect of it is my favorite - you can really get in the zone.

Have you always worked out the same amount that you do now? And if not, what changed for you?

Renee: I've always been big into running since high school, but lately I've been upping my weight training. It all started when my friends and I signed up for a Tough Mudder (completed Feb 2012, highly recommended if you want to push yourself to the extreme and come out laughing!). Before I would only run, but when I started growing muscle strength thanks to Tough Mudder training, I realized how awesome it was to see myself look and feel stronger. Ever since then, I've been working to get more definition on my body, and am happy to see results appear slowly but steadily. Tough Mudder 2013, here I come! I might be coming too, Renee!

Emma: No, I definitely have not. In high school I played tennis, which was only during the fall and that would pretty much sum up my exercise for the year. After gaining the freshmen 15, I started working out with a personal trainer. Now reflecting on what he taught me, I think he made me a little too obsessed with working out and eating healthy. I became very hard on myself. Now, I think I have found more of a balance and workout out for my personal enjoyment, while having a lot of other life engagements that are priorities to working out. 

What are 3 pieces of advice or tips that you would give someone who is trying to change up their workout routine?

Renee: 1. My mother burned her advice into my brain, so I'll pass it on: "Everything in moderation." Don't overdo it! I tend to get burned out and lose interest if I try to work out too much. So if I want to take a day off and be lazy, I do! There's nothing wrong with that, it's O.K. to take a day or two off.

2. I really like reading inspirational quotes. I pick a few and save them to read whenever I'm feeling discouraged. So here's one I'd like to share: "I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." I couldn't agree more with this quote, and it reminds me that the last pushup will burn, 30 more seconds in a squat will hurt, and that last quarter of a mile may make my legs collapse, but it's all WORTH IT.

3. Lastly, having fun is the best way to keep motivation for working out! Friends make exercise so much better. If you don't know anyone at your gym... meet them! After all, that's how I met Amy! :)

Emma: 1. Find something you enjoy! Switch it up and do things outdoors, I love going for walks up in the Santa Barbara mountains. 

2. Find friends to work out with.

3. And no matter what, don't be too hard on yourself. You should workout for you!

Thank you, thank you to my amazing gym buddies!

I really love these girls, not to mention knowing they will be at the gym drags me out of bed most mornings! These past few months, my workout routine has only gotten more consistent, and a lot of that is thanks to meeting these two. 

I hope you enjoyed their workout tips as much as I did!

And like I said, any advice on how to stop those late night munchies or sugar cravings, would be greatly appreciated!

All In My Twenties

8 comments:

Rach said...

They are both so cute! And offer great advice! Glad you have their support at the gym! :)

Emily said...

I really like the idea of getting other people's input! They have great ideas too :) Glad you're finding fun ways to stay committed!

Amy said...

LOVE the interviews!
They definitely offered up some awesome advice! :)
Than's for sharing!!

Jordan said...

Great questions and great idea for a post! I think it's awesome you met them at the gym. Support ALWAYS helps!

P!nky said...

1) Drink lots of water

2) don't have crappy snack food around, you can't eat what you don't have.

3) Introduce 1 healthy substitute a day/week and STICK too it. Carrots for chips.

4) Make sure you are getting SOME form of protien at each meal.

5)VEGGIES VEGGIES VEGGIES FRESH FRESH FRESH!

Hope these help :)

Arika said...

What great advice, I needed that! Thanks for sharing girls!

Alisa Marie said...

Gym buddies help to keep motivated! I absolutely love this post, makes me want to get back out there and start going to the gym again! Thanks for sharing.

Elissa said...

I am a big proponent of Renee's mom's advice 'Everyting in Moderation' and I think that is key to remember in many different aspects of life, including working out, eating healthy, etc.