Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday Facts - Part 3

1. This lady is single. Yupp, that's the big news for today. Single, ready to mingle, back on the market, however you want to phrase it, this gal will be starting 2012 happily ridin' solo. I really want to slow down this year. Everything seems to be happening so fast. Graduate college, check. Get a full time job, check. Move into my first *rented* house, check. So much has happened in the last 9 months and I feel like it's just flying by before my eyes. I want to enjoy these years. Take some time to really figure out what I want to do, and just do it. So believe me, when I find that amazing person, oh I'll snatch him up. But for now, I'm ready to take a little me time.

2. So, about this Spinagogue business. All my Jews out there, have you heard of this game? Cause I hadn't. I thought my 6 year old sister had made up some fun new word for good old "spin the dreidel." But I was wrong:


Now I wish I had taken a picture of the instruction manual, but you're just gonna have to take my word for it that I couldn't make this up if I tried. This game was no joke. It's the official game of Major League Dreidel, after all. And as with any official game, it was necessary to introduce the proper terminology before playing. By the end of the night, we were all sounding like Spinagogue masters. Here are a few of my favorite terms:

Kiss: when a dreidel collides with the wall of the Spinagogue. For example, "Oh man, that kiss is gonna do some major damage to my time."

Smooch: a prolonged kiss, such as when the dreidel skids against the wall of the Spinagogue. For example, "I just don't see any coming back from a smooch like that."

Flirting: when the dreidle is spinning closely to the wall of the Spinagogue, yet avoiding contact. For example, "That orange dreidel is doing some hard core flirting, there might be a kiss in the near future."

Like I said, can't make this stuff up. By the end of the game I was really wondering if this terminology was appropriate for the ears of my sister. I think she's far too young to be witnessing such smooching.

3. Now that you've got a basic understanding of Spinagogue, you can probably get an idea of how intense this can get. Luckily, the instruction booklet provided us with the World Records of past dreidel spins, so we were able to gauge how we stand against all the other MLD players. Turns out my cousin was born to play this game, like total dreidel champion. Pamskie was the previous world record holder, and she had a spin of 17.88 seconds. Believe it or not, my cousin BROKE the record. Too bad he just barely missed this year's MLD Tournament.

And since nothing's official until it's on facebook:


Next step for Justin, pick a professional Spinagogue name. My personal favorite was Spinny the Poo, but here are a few other examples:


4. Remember here when I said that I finally started getting things for my room so that I could oh you know, move in? Well dad came up at just the perfect time and being the amazingly generous and handy dad that he is, he helped me put everything together! And when I say he helped me, I basically mean that I helped him by doing the few steps that I could actually do (like hammering nails! woo!). It feels so good to have a room with a dresser, pictures and a mirror on the wall, AND curtains. I'm sure gonna miss waking up at 7AM on the weekends due to the light shining through my curatin-less, blind-less windows. Ha, not. Pictures of my newly set up room coming soon! After I finish actually putting things in my new drawers, of course.

Thanks, Dad! You're the best! :)

5. I really like this song right now:


It just makes me want to dance, and I really love to dance. Especially when it's just me watching myself in the mirror. That's when I give the best shows. Or when I'm in my cubicle at work and I just can't help but bust out a few kind-of subtle moves. Except for that one time I got caught. Not embarassing at all.

6. This was my favorite blog post this week. As a new blogger, I'm quickly finding that some things are easier to post about than others. Some things just seem too serious, too real, too embarassing, too _______ (you fill in the blank). It's easy to focus on the flowers and butterflies and not that time I maybe peed my pants while walking home from the dining commons. Hey, something really funny happened, okay? Alright, maybe not that funny. I was just laughing really hard. So maybe Bridget didn't share her laughed-so-hard-she-peed-her-pants story, but she did keep it real. I'm a big fan of that. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who hits a few bumps in the road every now and then.

7. After work, I'm heading home to San Diego for a few days. It'll be nice to have some time off work, see some friends that I've been missing and spend more time with the fam. Not to mention Christmas on Sunday! Can't wait!

8. Have I mentioned Fantasy Football on this here blog of mine? I don't think I have. Well a few years back, I played with my guy friends in college. It made watching the games way more fun cause I actually had things to pay attention to. Being the only girl, I was pretty stoked not to come in last. Came in 9th out of 10 people, no big deal. This year, I joined our guy friends' league, and guess what! I'm in first! I probably shouldn't brag seeing as the championship game is this week so I really have yet to win anything, but hey, even if I come in 2nd that's still better than 9th! (And better than the basically last place I got in my family league this year. Oh well, minor details). Wish me luck!

9. I've been majorly slacking on my cooking lately, but next week I WILL post another recipe. I'm determined.

10. Can I just say that coming up with 10 things has been kind of difficult? It really shouldn't be, but next week I want to take more pics to spice up my Friday Facts. This week had a serious lack of pictures (mah bad). Anyway, there you have it folks, my week's worth of facts, and some goals for next week. Happy Friday!

No comments: