Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Verse For Thought

Romans has always been my favorite book of the bible. Something about it being the first book that I read beginning to end as a new believer, and the nearly completely highlighted orange pages, just makes me fall in love with Christ all over again every time I read it. 


What can I say? There's a lot of gold in there. 

Or, I guess now there's just a lot of orange. 

Ha, I know. I'm hilarious. 

Anywho, when we had to decide what we wanted to study in our bible study, I immediately suggested the idea of Romans. We've been going through it every week, and I have so enjoyed getting a new perspective on all of the words and ideas that inspired me to commit my life to Christ in the first place. 

A verse that truly spoke to me this week is Romans 7:6,

But now we have been released from the law, 
for we died with Christ, and we are no longer captive to its power. 
Now we can really serve God, 
not in the old way by obeying the letter of the law,
but in the new way, by the Spirit. 

I think Christians have a rep for living a life of rules. And from an outsider's perspective, I can totally see that. I mean, they're called the 10 commandments for a reason, right? They're commanding us to live our life a certain way. 

But the thing is, that's not quite how it works. We are not saved by following rules, or living according to any particular laws. The truth is, living a life perfectly following the commandments is impossible. 

We are saved by our loving savior, Jesus Christ. We are saved because he loved us so much that he came and died for us, to release us from the law that kept us from our Father. 

I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and thinks, I want to live in a way that seems ridiculous to the rest of the world. 

At least I certainly didn't. I was right there living in the world, and not thinking anything of it. 

Until I invited the Spirit into my life. And that's when things changed. That's when I wanted to live my life according to these rules

Today, I am thankful for a Father that does not hold us to an impossible standard. I am thankful for a loving Father who recognizes how deeply flawed we are as humans. And in spite of ourselves, works within us to make us the best versions of ourselves. 

Hallelujah!

6 comments:

Jordan said...

The last paragraph spoke to me the most. Even as flawed as we are, He loves us. As a new believer myself, it's still something that astonishes me the most. Every day is another opportunity to be the best person we can be with His guidance. Great post!

Kerrie Williams said...

I love to see a well marked bible :)

Melissa Jo said...

Seriously girl - the more I read your blog the more I love it! It is pretty darn amazing how accepting and forgiving our Lord is, he know we aren't perfect but His love doesn't change for us even when we sin. Following Him in the spirit has definitely been something I've been challenged with this fall/winter.

Dawn Brown said...

I absolutely love the book of Romans. It has so many important lessons and truths from God.

Anonymous said...

I really love how Jesus wraps around your heart like a warm fuzzy sweater.

Take care my friend.

Anonymous said...

Your post also reminds me of a great poem I read one day at a relative's house. It went like this:

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

- by Margaret Fishback Powers