Sweet Home Santa Barbara

Thursday, August 25, 2011

America's Next Top Chef

So guess who's picked up cooking? Me! Well, I guess if you can call following a recipe cooking, then I'm on my way to becoming a gourmet chef. This year, we've started a great dinner routine where we each pick one night of the week to cook dinner. I was never a huge cook before, but when cooking for others you have to be prepared to impress. And let me tell you, each of our meals has been amazinggg. We've had all sorts of different cuisines, everything from Mexican to Greek to Italian and more. It's a really great way for us all to become better cooks (our husbands can thank us later), not to mention a great way for us to spend time together. We've even gone all out and had a few dinner parties since we've been living in our new place. Last night I invited some people to join us, and cooked something I had never even heard of before. It's kind of a tortellini soup? I mean, how can you go wrong with tortellinis, right? It was really easy, only needed 5 ingredients and was delicious! Anywho, I thought it'd be something worth blogging about, so here's the simple recipe (I found it on www.myrecipes.com) that I followed:

Asiago Tortellini


Ingredients:

1 (9-ounce) package fresh three-cheese tortellini
1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved fresh Asiago cheese

Preparation:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
2. While pasta cooks, combine broth and tomato in a medium saucepan; bring it to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Cover and let broth mixture stand until pasta is done. Add drained pasta to broth mixture. Ladle soup into shallow bowls; sprinkle each serving with cheese. 

And that's it! You've got a great meal that people will love, and you don't have to buy tons of ingredients or spend hours slaving in the kitchen. I made a salad to go with it, and had some garlic bread for us to munch on while it was cooking (took about 15-20 min). It was a very successful dinner, if I do say so myself!
 
 

No comments: